Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Boylan Heights

Date
October 21, 2008

Location
102 14th Street NW
Where Orbitz used to be

What I ate
Gyro burger, seasoned fries

Who went
Matt, Jessie, Grandpa, Rowlf, Miles, Daniel, Tiff, and Nora

Thoughts
The first word that comes to mind is "underwhelming". It's not that the food was bad (it wasn't) there just wasn't much to it in general. The school theme became annoying very quickly and the menu is very limited. There are some places that can only offer a few things and it's fine because there's enough variety and quality, but this isn't one of them. I'm especially disappointed because I read a few good reviews, people raving about the quality of the food and the atmosphere, and both fell flat. Those who ordered the sweet potato fries said they were tasty, but the regular fries were just OK. I had to remind the waiter I ordered them but I really should have just let it go. The portions were on the smallish side while the prices weren't; burgers were $7 and sides were $3.

There were a few positive things. They were very flexible and able to accommodate our large party by moving around a few tables, though they just provided permission while we provided the labor. The beer selection looked good and the bar looked well-stocked; I'll have to check out the spirits after kickball one day since we get a discount. They have ample seating and plenty of televisions, so a Sunday afternoon with football and beer is an idea with potential. Overall though, it just wasn't exciting and, again, underwhelming seemed to be the word on everyone's mind.

RecapPros - the sweet potato fries are apparently quite good, they use local, organic beef
Cons - menu lacked variety, food is somewhat boring, overpriced
Overall - I sensed a bit of potential in the menu, so part of me wants to go back. But part of me also doesn't want to risk paying $12 or more for a burger and fries. I'll probably go back to check out the bar, but I don't think it'll be a dinner destination.

No comments: