Thursday, November 6, 2008

Rapture

Date
November 6, 2008

Location
Downtown Mall, right by 3rd street

What I ate
Thai bowl (sauteed vegetables and mushrooms with noodles in a spicy Thai sauce)

Who went
My mom and sister

Website
http://www.clubr2.com/

Thoughts
The food was pretty tasty although it lacked a certain something without a protein. Yes, they offer chicken, shrimp, or tofu, but the bowl is $14 without and $19 with a protein. They did a good job with the flavors, especially in the sauce and some of the vegetables - the crunch of the carrots was quite welcome - but I fear for the other levels of spiciness. I asked for mine hot (as opposed to mild or medium) and there was a bit of a kick, but not nearly what I expected from the highest level, especially on a Thai dish. That said, the slaw in my sister's Thai beef tacos was apparently very spicy and the accompanying mango sauce had a good kick to it. My mom had pasta with smoked salmon, which was apparently delicious. My bowl was quite filling and, like I said before, very tasty but something just felt missing; maybe I'll have to go back and splurge for a protein.

Our waitress was very nice and made good conversation. She also had no problem taking back my mom's initial dish - it had parmesan cheese on top, something not mentioned on the menu - and we didn't run out of water. She automatically added gratuity without telling us, but that could be because I used a coupon; I'm not sure. After a little initial confusion, it wasn't really a problem.

Recap
Pros - Good food, varied menu (I have to try the fish and chips), friendly service
Cons - Some things are overpriced, website is out of date (a few offerings listed there sound delicious but weren't on my menu tonight)
Overall - The food is good, the people are nice, but it's nothing amazing. It's worth a visit every so often, but I don't think there's anything on the menu that I'd get repeatedly.

No comments: