Saturday, February 16, 2013

Atlanta Recap - Brick Store Pub, Cakes & Ale, Parish Food & Goods, etc.

I started writing these when I was in Atlanta, but I never got around to finishing them.  Now it's 6 months after I visited and I couldn't do the reviews justice.  I don't want to let them go unreviewed, so here are the quick hits.  Hopefully, I'll go back and I'll write full reviews.

BRICK STORE PUB
Location
125 E. Court Square, Decatur, GA

What I ate
Pickle jar - okra, zucchini, squash, pineapple
Pierogies
Cast-iron pot pie

What I drank
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Deproef Signature Ale

Who went
Courtney, Alex, Tara

Website
Brick Store Pub

Recap
Pros - Great beer menu, pickle jar was delicious
Cons - Atmosphere is good but not great, a little loud and not the best lit
Overall - Worth it for the beer alone, it's probably my favorite spot on the square in Decatur

CAKES & ALE

Location
155 Sycamore Street, Decatur, GA

What I ate
Arancini with citrus and fennel pollen
Lamb leg, potato-garlic puree, lima & pole beans, mixed greens
Bourbon pineapple upside down cake with salted caramel and gingerbread ice cream (and white pepper!)

Who went
Grandma and Grandpa

Website
Cakes & Ale

Recap
Pros - Delicious dessert, great atmosphere
Cons - Small portions, limited (though good) beer selection
Overall - For a place called Cakes & Ale, I had hoped for a bit more beer.  The food was really good, but it's a little on the expensive side.  Definitely a good place for special occasions.

PARISH FOOD & GOODS

Location
Inman Park
240 N Highland Avenue, Atlanta

What I ate
Deviled chicken hearts with roasted carrot puree, brioche
Roasted chicken thigh and leg, smoked onion and swiss chard gratin, sorrel pistou
Banana bread pudding, toffee sauce, whiskey vanilla ice cream

Who went
Anna

Website
Parish Food and Goods

Thoughts
Drinks, bartender, atmosphere, Inman Park

Recap
Pros - Tasty food, good beer selection, excellent atmosphere (and awesome bartender)
Cons - Frankly, can't think of any
Overall - This was a great evening.  When I get back to Atlanta, I'm definitely heading here.

OTHER PLACES
Tartufo Pizzaria - best pizza I've had south of NJ (the owner is a transplant)
Cafe Alsace - cute little French bistro
The Porter Beer Bar - best beer menu I've ever seen
Atlanta Fish Market - wonderful seafood

No comments: