Thursday, July 9, 2009

La Michoacana and Las Palmas bakery

Date
7/9/09

Location
La Michoacana - Near Martha Jefferson Hospital; 1138 East High Street
Las Palmas - Around the back of Beer Run's building; 156 Carlton Road

What I ate
Chicken taco, chicken burrito
A variety of pastries

Who came
Matt, Xander, Shannon

ThoughtsFirst off, hat top to Kat for telling me about this place. What delicious, authentic food. Well, I'm assuming it's authentic since I'm a Jewish guy from the suburbs of New Jersey, but it sure felt authentic. Make sure to get a look at the actual menu because there's something written on a board in plain sight, but that's just a basic overview of what they serve; the menu has descriptions. Once you do find the menu, good luck figuring out what to get. They offer a bunch of variations on the same theme, but have some Mexican specialties. The tortilla for my taco was absolutely delicious and the taco and burrito fillings were also really tasty. The four of us crammed into a small table near the back, but it would be really difficult to bring any bigger of a group; it seems like they do a lot of take-out business. They also have a small grocery-type section that I'll have to visit when I want to try to make my own Mexican food.

Shannon told us about this great Mexican bakery that would provide a nice coda to our meal, and it's not as if we had anything else to do, so we headed that way. Xander couldn't stop talking about it reminded him of his childhood, so I'll assume it's pretty authentic, too. They have a wide variety of pastries and everything we had was both tasty and cheap. We took everything to the grassy area outside and had a good time just hanging around, eating our desserts.

Recap
Pros - Delicious food, great prices
Cons - Small spaces
Overall - Go. I mean, like, right now. The food is great, the prices are great - I'm not sure what other convincing you need. Yes, these comments apply to both places.

2 comments:

ANKA said...

I love Michoacana as well. Their enchiladas are the best best best! Were you brave enough to try the tongue?

ANKA said...

Now you must also go to Belmont BBQ and get coffee at La Taza-- that is, if you drink coffee...