Thursday, June 25, 2009

Eppie's

NOTE: After I finished writing this review, I sent a link to it by way of the "Contact us" section of their website. I woke up to find a personal reply from Dan, the owner, written a mere 6 hours later. His comments show that he read the whole post. Between this and what I've read about him, I think we can safely call him a Good Guy(tm).

Date
6/25/09

Location
On the East end of the Downtown Mall
412 E. Main Street

What I ate
Turkey meatloaf, black beans, mashed potatoes, cornbread

Who came
Nora, Tiff, Matt, Jeremy

Website
http://eppiesrestaurant.com/

Thoughts
I've walked by this place a bunch of times and never before taken a good look inside, let alone eaten there. After hearing a bunch of good things and reading some reviews, I figured now was as good a time as any to pay a visit. They have salads, sandwiches, and pasta dishes along with some vegetable options and a daily special. It's a relatively limited menu with 3-4 options in each section, but the variety of side dishes and the rotating specials you shouldn't get bored with your choices. The food comes out relatively quickly and they like local ingredients; they use bread from Albemarle Baking Company and pasta from Mona Lisa Pasta.

My meatloaf needed some more seasoning, but that's really my only complaint about the meal. They gave me a tasty sauce in which to dip the meatloaf, but I was really expecting more flavor; you can see pieces of peppers and onions cooked right into the loaf. The mashed potatoes were great and it's tough to screw up black beans. The slice of cornbread was pretty substantial and delicious. It definitely didn't cost that much, especially considering that most places charge a bit of a premium for their use of local ingredients. The portion was generous and filling.

Recap
Pros - Tasty food, good prices, good portions
Cons - Meatloaf needed a little more seasoning
Overall - You should definitely visit this place because the food is tasty, the prices and portions are good, and they use local ingredients. I'm going to go back and I'll have to sample their pastas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the jerk chicken, and it was delicious. I also had the sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli for sides and the cornbread. I enjoyed the just plain veggies, and that they had a variety of hot sauces and parmesan, but I wished they'd had garlic powder.

I think overall it was very tasty for the price, and for fast service it felt like a much more nutritious and balanced meal than you'd normally get.

ANKA said...

Mmmm I love Eppie's. Their cornbread is my fave, and the collard greens are also good.